Friday, August 08, 2014

A Makeover is Happening


This picture was taken almost a year ago. It was before we moved into our house, and there was a lot of renovation work going on.

When we first moved in, I made this room the schoolroom and since I was burned out from painting, and our very large bookshelf was taking up most of the wall space, I didn't bother painting the paneling. 
Then we pulled the ol' switch-a-roo and Jason and I found ourselves in a very brown bedroom. Brown is okay, but it's never inspired me in a decorative sense. 
And paneling for sure hasn't.

look. i didn't even bother removing the white board. i was in decorating denial.

I really, really wanted to paint the walls, but I didn't want to do it alone because painting paneling is such time consuming and very tedious work. I kept putting it off and putting it off until I JUST COULDN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE.


So yesterday, I rounded up my paint and supplies and decided that since it always takes me one full day to completely paint a room, I should just suck it up and get it over with.  By this time the next night I would be sleeping peacefully in a "brand-new" room.

HA!





I worked from nine last night until one-thirty this morning and almost finished one wall. 
One. Wall.
 I have now changed my goal of completing this project from one day to one weekend. I am determined to get the task finished by tomorrow evening. This paneling just soaks in the paint and the edging takes FOREVER. I have to give the walls three coats and even edge the sides three times. I worked all day today and and I am just now half-way through the job.


Also, I decided that if I was going to do this, then I was really going to do this and I'm making myself paint all the furniture that needs repainting and I'm finally painting the girls' rocking horses. 



With my cousin's help, I was able to get the shelves and brackets above my desk put up and then I just threw some random decorations on them. I still have to paint that desk black and then organize and truly decorate the shelves, but it's nice to see a small part of the room finally looking like it's coming together. 

I have had a suggestion to paint the desk a yellow similar to the one below. I'm not totally sold on the idea, although I think the dresser in the photo is adorable. 


I'm just afraid it will take away from the picture I have in my head. There will be a black shelf above our bed that will be across the wall from the desk. Also, we have one black dresser. The nightstands and the other dresser are the gray color that you can see in the photos at the top of the post. 
What do you think? I would really like to hear your opinions.  

2 comments:

nanny said...

Can't wait to see it all put together!

Debbi said...

yellow and gray together are really "in" right now;)